· THE FRANCIS WOLFF COLLECTION
· DELUXE GATEFOLD SLEEVE
· 180-gram pure virgin vinyl LP in Gatefold packaging
· IMAGES BY ICONIC JAZZ PHOTOGRAPHER FRANCIS WOLF
· 4 1/2 ALL MUSIC GUIDE
· INCLUDES 2 BONUS TRACKS
Guitarist Grant Green (1935-1979) recorded prolifically both as a leader and as a sideman (primarily for the Blue Note label). He performed in the hard bop, soul jazz, bebop, and Latin-tinged idioms throughout his career. According to critics Michael Erlewine and Ron Wynn, “A severely underrated player during his lifetime, Green is one of the great unsung heroes of jazz guitar”.
Many of Grant Green’s various trio albums make use of the organ. On "Grant’s First Stand", Green joined forces with the great “Baby Face” Willette, with whom he would record two more albums, "Face to Face" and "Stop and Listen".
- GRANT GREEN, guitar
- “BABY FACE” WILLETTE, organ
- BEN DIXON, drums
Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, January 28, 1961.
- (*) Bonus tracks: Same personnel. Rudy Van Gelder Studio,
- Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, May 22, 1961.
- 1 MISS ANN’S TEMPO
- 2 LULLABY OF THE LEAVES
- 3 BLUES FOR WILLARENE
- 4 WORK SONG (*)
- 1 BABY’S MINOR LOPE
- 2 ‘TAIN’T NOBODY’S BUSINESS IF I DO
- 3 A WEE BIT O’GREEN
- 4 THEY CAN’T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME (*)
- Label code