OUTSTANDING 168-PAGE BOOK INCLUDING:
MORE THAN 150 PHOTOS BY FRANCIS WOLFF
HARDCOVER / 31 X 31cm
TEXTS IN ENGLISH, FRENCH & SPANISH
INCLUDES 16-TRACK CD-SAMPLER with music from the LP/CD Francis Wolff Collection
One of the most renowned jazz photographers of all time, Francis Wolff (1907-1971) was essential to the success of the Blue Note record label. Born Jakob Franz Wolff in Berlin, Germany, he soon became a jazz enthusiast, despite the government ban placed on this type of music after 1933. In 1939, Wolff, a Jew, left Berlin where he had worked as a commercial photographer and established himself in New York. He began working there with his childhood friend Alfred Lion, who had co-founded Blue Note Records with Max Margulis. The latter soon dropped out of his involvement in the company, and Wolff joined Lion in running it. Wolff took thousands of photographs during the Blue Note recording sessions and rehearsals. His highly personal visual concept would be forever associated with both Blue Note and jazz as a whole.
This book compiles more than 150 Francis Wolff photos of jazz stars, most of which are published here for the very first time. It also includes a special introduction by renowned music historian and jazz critic Ashley Kahn.
Among the many artists portrayed are Art Blakey, Tina Brooks, Clifford Brown, Donald Byrd, Don Cherry, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, Grant Green, Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson, Freddie Hubbard, Elvin Jones, Thelonious Monk, Lee Morgan, Bud Powell, Sonny Rollins, and Wayne Shorter.
01. DEXTER GORDON: Soy Califa
02: WAYNE SHORTER: Black Orpheus
03. MILES DAVIS: It Never Entered My Mind
04. HERBIE HANCOCK: Watermelon Man
05. BUD POWELL: Parisian Thoroughfare
06. DONALD BYRD: I'm Fool To Want You
07. CLIFFORD BROWN & J.J. JOHNSON: Get Happy
08. THELONIOUS MONK: 'Round Midnight
09. ART BLAKEY: Ecaroh
10. JIMMY SMITH: Ol' Man River
11. ERIC DOLPHY: On Green Dolphy Street
12. JOHN COLTRANE & KENNY BURRELL: Why I Was Born?
13. ORNETTE COLEMAN: Embraceable You
14. McCOY TYNER: Inception
15. ART FARMER: The Best Thing For You Is Me
16: SIDNEY BECHET: Petite Fleur
- Label code